Monday 27 June 2011

Abominable Snowman



I mentioned the other day that I picked up a cryptozoological bargain in Oxfam and so here it is: Ivan T Sanderson's Abominable Snowmen: Legend Come to Life. I'd never heard of it before and certainly never seen it. I was amazed that it pre-dated the Patterson-Gimlin 'Sasquatch' footage from 1967 because inside there is an illustration of a female bigfoot uncannily similar to the 'man in suit' presented in the footage. Better yet, though it's tough to get a good scan of because the book is thick and the image near the spine, there is also an illustration of a Yeti with a high sagittal crest. Put the two together and I start to wonder if Patterson/Gimlin had this book and took to their costume designer and said, "Hey, make us something like this!" Alternatively, maybe they rented a cine camera for the weekend, went pony trekking the woods and captured the real Bigfoot on film. You pays the money and you makes the choice. In my case, £6.99 (ouch!) in Oxfam West Bridgford - cheap at half the price...

No comments:

Post a Comment