Saturday 11 July 2009

The Blue Kite


When I was about three years old, my Dad woke me up in the middle of the night and carried me out of the house to the car. I looked back at the house and caught in the guttering was a midnight blue kite with a white (very frightening) face painted on it. The kite was rattling in the guttering making a terrible noise. My Mum was in the car too and so we drove far away - as you should if ever a kite is caught in your guttering - EVACUATE - get as far away as you possibly can. We started a new life far from the terrifying kite and though I missed our old house and my toys it was obvious why we had left - and certainly best not spoken about. Then, a couple of weeks later my Dad announced that we would be going back to our old house. How could he have forgotten so soon about the evil kite? I reminded him - he had no idea what I was talking about. Apparently, I had just had a dream; and we had not started a new life - this was just a holiday.
We returned to the house and lived a comparatively normal life. And today, of course I don't have a phobia about kites, but if I happened to see one leering down at me while it flapped against the barge boards - well I wouldn't really be exactly surprised.
NEXT: The Monkeys in the Wallpaper

No comments:

Post a Comment